2.20.2012

SOULFUL SOUPS

Let me just put it out there for everyone..I am a soup LOVER! For me, a bowl of soup is like a cozy blanket for my soul. It is a constant companion, a cheerful smile on a dreary day, a reminder of all that is good in the world today!

Even though David is not a huge soup guy, I like to make soups with the intention that I will freeze them to eat for dinner another night...instead the pattern has become that I just keep the soup in the refrigerator and eat it for every meal for the proceeding days until it is gone...hey, when you have a good soup going you just have to go with it!

I thought that since winter is coming to an end in Texoma, (it is supposed to be 70* on Wednesday) and many of you reading this blog may live in a place that stays cool through well...May...I would share this season's favorite soup recipes in hopes that you will be as warmed and comforted by them as I have!

These are my favorite soups that I have made this winter. I have loved and devoured each of them because they are just that good! You don't even want to know how many millions of hours I have spent on the Internet and in my cook books pouring through soup recipes in order to get the basic idea for the next soup I am going to try...so I have definitely already done the hard part for you. Also, none of these need to be followed perfectly. Under each recipe, I have added what things I changed due to convenience or what I had in my cupboards.

Try these recipes. Have fun with them. Enjoy eating them. Feed your soul with soup...you will be so glad that you did!

Guinness Beef Stew
*I used red onions and added extra of the liquids to give it more moisture. I did not use any parsnips and used extra potatoes.

Clam Chowder
*I used one can of whole baby clams and one cup of the juice they came instead of the stock from boiling fresh clams. I used red potatoes instead of Yukon. I used ground thyme instead of a fresh bundle and half and half (instead of heavy cream) and nonfat milk(instead of whole milk) for the two types of dairy products.

Beef and Barley Stew
*I used extra celery stalks, I did not use parsnips but I did use 2 peeled baking potatoes. I did not use Hungarian paprika, just normal paprika and I added a beef bullion cube for extra flavor.

Chicken Noodle Soup
*I added frozen pearl onions and since I made this in the crock pot, I let everything simmer all afternoon and just before we were ready to eat I boiled the noodles for about three minutes and put them into the crock pot for about fifteen minutes, this way the noodles didn't get soggy and still had a bit of time to absorb the flavor of the broth and veggies!


Source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about your soups and am ready to try one out. I just got a batch of butternut squash/apple soup out of my freezer. I'm the only one in our house who likes it - had to have girlfriends over to finish off the last batch - they loved it1 Here's to soup! klf

Bright Lights, Big City...Life in Las Vegas