5.03.2012

PIONEER WOMAN

When we began our blog in 2008, it was all because we moved to Germany and we wanted to be able to communicate with our family and friends during our European adventure.

I had no idea that "blogging" was such an amazing world in and of its own...we moved to Germany  before the MAJOR Facebook craze, the iphone, even Pinterest....and "blogging" as a past time, wasn't even a part of my vocabulary.

Fast forward a few years and we were getting ready to move to Texas (definitely not as glamorous as Germany) though still full of excitement....I kept the blog thinking that it would still be a great way to document our adventures and communicate our Air Force life with our loved ones in the PNW.  

Then I got here.  To Texas.

In June.  In the 108* temps of the Texas summer.  
We had no furniture.  I had no job.  I had no friends.  Life was bleak.  

But, I quickly learned that there is one thing that Texas has an abundance of...old things.  There are loads of places to find antiques, flea market steals, yard sales and treasures.  In Texas there are also a TON of home improvement stores, with great military discounts!

So...I began to explore this one horse town, and I began to think of creative ways to reuse, and refurbish items purchased for little to nothing.  Amazingly enough I learned quickly what a can of spray paint can do to really change the look of things....and fill up the hours in my day!  

So along with my need for a creative outlet, my desire to jazz up and recycle knick knacks, and my utter loneliness...I discovered the world of DIY projects and the blogosphere where people share them.

While seeking out creative inspiration online, I found a blog called The Pioneer Woman, which quickly became my go-to for cooking.  The Pioneer Woman shares her recipes in step by step form and she is very real when she opens the door to her family home in Oklahoma, revealing the true colors of owning a farm and raising children.


Last month I had the privilege of seeing Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, speak at the Wichita Falls Country Club.  She was as fantastic as her writing and her show on the Food Network.  

She is funny, sweet, and most of all she is very real.  She spoke of how she began her blogging and her photography adventures and how they became a wonderful part of her life when she was looking for a creative outlet.  

It was such an inspiration to me to hear that no matter what the circumstances are around you...you can create a life that you love.

It was wonderful to be reminded that you can be successful, creative, fulfilled, and purposeful no matter what road your life leads you to...

...and I must say that for a young military wife, who isn't ever quite sure of the next road, the next chapter, or even the next city, it is a very good lesson to hear...

...that no matter where we go......or what road The Fox Family may head down......I can find purpose and inspiration in my day...everyday

No comments:

Bright Lights, Big City...Life in Las Vegas