3.07.2012

LENT

"Return to me with your whole heart, with fasting, and weeping and mourning" (Joel 2:12)



Lent is such a wonderful time. I love being reminded of the journey Christ took prior to his death and resurrection and I love being reminded of the fact that as Christians we can use these 40 days to sacrifice, to pray, and to humble ourselves for the gift we will receive at Easter.

Now normally, not so different from many people out there, I don't love giving up my favorite indulgences...so I usually don't.

But during Lent, I enjoy having a reason to give up my favorite things. I appreciate that each time I reach for that special item...or I start to do a certain activity...I get to remind myself that Christ gave the ultimate sacrifice and I can surely sacrifice this small thing for 40 days...surely I can!

This year I gave up two things. One of them, an activity that I love and one of them, an object that I love.

I first decided to give up sweets, desserts, candy, sugar, ice cream...all things made of sugar and that make my heart feel aflutter.

I have never taken on this task before during the Lenten season, because I just never thought that I could do it. It is just a fact that I love candy. and ice cream. and desserts. I love them. Like...if it was between choosing McCovey or ice cream...I might just choose the latter option :) I won't even set up the scenario of choosing between David and Skittles...because well...you don't want to know that answer either!

I also made the decision to give up an activity that has begun to use up a great deal of my time, energy and money...baking.

In an effort to improve (my hideous) baking skills this past year, I have taken to daily: searching out new recipes...buying new ingredients...and then tasting my creations (as well as handing them out to ANYONE in our lives who will take them off of our hands).

Well, since gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, I decided that I would stop baking during Lent and the money that was spent on my supplies would go towards our church service project, Operation Rice Bowl, providing money to feed poor children around the world.

This Lent has been one of my best yet. The constant reminders to myself of Christ's sacrifice have been fantastic and I am thankful that I chose to take this period of prayer and sacrifice seriously.

However, there is one point in our house that is up for debate...Sundays.

According to the church calender, Sundays during Lent are not actually calculated in the 40 days. In the most basic of terms this is because each Sunday is considered a "mini" celebration of Easter and the Resurrection. So, for many families this means that you do not have to abstain from your chosen Lenten sacrifice...and in our home...it is a split decision.

For Lent David has given up Diet Coke, and other soda, but his primary "drug of choice" is Diet Coke. He has also chosen, not to cheat on Sundays...because he is amazingly dedicated like that.

I, on the other hand have chosen to partially cheat. I have decided that each Sunday I will select one item to bake and share with those in our lives...we wouldn't want to cut off our neighbors cold turkey from their baked goods, now would we?!?!

The first Sunday of Lent, I made Cinnamon Rolls from the BEST recipe! You must try making these, you won't regret it!

The second Sunday of Lent, I made these Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes...they were simply divine! The cake was a bit chewy and I think it is because I still don't have the skill of "gently folding" down pat...but with practice (after Lent) I will continue to get better.

I have yet to decide what will be made on the Sundays to come, but I will be posting those recipes as well, as this wonderful Lenten journey continues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, you good and faithful servants!
I say on Easter, we bake up a storm!
Love, Mom

Bright Lights, Big City...Life in Las Vegas